If you're an artist looking to strengthen your business, there are several books that can help you achieve your goals. I have read so many books over the years in hopes of becoming a successful artist. While quite a few have been helpful, I have returned to this selection multiple times to help me on my journey. These 5 books are specifically tailored to artists looking to succeed in the business world:
1. "Art Money Success" by Maria Brophy - I was lucky to meet Maria Brophy early in my career long before she had written the book. She is so kind and super smart that immediately I became an instant fan of her and her husband, Drew. This book is a comprehensive guide to building a successful career as an artist. It covers topics such as pricing your work, licensing your art, and building your brand. Trust me, get the paperback, you'll be highlighting and leaving notes all over this thing. Maria also offers tons of great information on her Instagram.
2. "Mural Money" by Andrea Ehrhardt - This book is a step-by-step guide to creating murals that can be profitable for both the artist and the client. It covers topics such as pricing your work, finding clients, and managing projects. Not a muralist? No problem. I apply the same marketing strategies Andreas provides to my print business all of the time. I have been a big fan of Andrea for a long time. Besides this book, she offers great information on her Podcast, and she has a useful facebook group for artists to talk all things art business.
3. "I'd Rather Be in the Studio" by Alyson Stanfield is a must-read book. This book is a comprehensive guide to building a successful career as an artist. The book covers a wide range of topics, including how to: - Set goals and create a plan for achieving them - Build relationships with galleries, collectors, and other artists - Market your work effectively - Use social media to grow your audience - Create multiple streams of income "I'd Rather Be in the Studio" is written in a clear and engaging style, and is full of practical advice and real-life examples from successful artists. Whether you're just starting out or looking to take your career to the next level, this book is an invaluable resource for any artist looking to build a successful career.
4. "Art/Work" by Heather Darcy Bhandari and Jonathan Melber - This book is a practical guide to navigating the art world. It covers topics such as pricing your work, building relationships with galleries, and marketing yourself as an artist. I have probably had this book for over ten years and it's still one of my go-to's. This book is best for the artist who wants to work with galleries.
5. "Big Magic" by Elizabeth Gilbert - While not specifically geared towards artists, this book offers valuable insights on how to live a creative life. It encourages artists to embrace their curiosity and take risks in their work. By reading these books, you'll gain valuable insights and
strategies for building a successful career as an artist. I just absolutely love the ideas and stories in this book. I listened to it on audible and I recommend it to anyone who wants to be more creative and confident in their work.
Whether you're just starting out or looking to take your business to the next level, these books can help you achieve your goals. By reading these books, you'll gain valuable insights and strategies for building a successful career as an artist. Whether you're just starting out or looking to take your business to the next level, these books can help you achieve your goals.
Check out more of my book recs, check out my Amazon Store https://amzn.to/3MhsIKO